Feeding babies with play, teaching children with play is a very old Indian tradition adopted by western countries. In our old / Purana tradition, Srimaan Trust conducts a number of various ventures all towards imbibing the concepts and teachings of our Purvars / Purvacharyas to children.
Recently on 6th October 2010 such a venture a multifaceted competition was held for the students of Srimaan Bhattar Kuzham and Srimaan Bhattar Gurukulam. Book of question bank was issued to each student of 7 teams (boys & girls aged 10 to 15). The groups of boys were named Azhwar Thirunagari, Thirukkudanthai, Thirukkurungudi, Thiruchitrakoodam and Thirukkurugur and that of girls named as Uraiyur and Thiruvarangam.
The competition was of 6 rounds. They were:
- Questions on vaibhavams of Mudhal Azhwars and Pillailokacharyar.
- Audio Identification – to identify the Upanyasaka from an audio clipping by the accent, voice, elocution etc. This also includedanswering questions based on the clipping.
- Visual Identification i.e to identify Azhwars and incidents on his life from visual clippings.
- Dumsarads – to enact the scene from a line of Thiruppavai which called for imagination, body language and extempore action.
- The rapid fire round in which the representative of each team should answer questions from Idhihasam, Azhwars, Acharyas Vaibavam etc. within 10 seconds, i.e to shoot at sound.
- The quiz competition was responsibly conducted by Revathi, who was also a student of our Srimaan Bhattar Kuzham.
All the teams tried to emulate each other in a very friendly manner and it was very tough for the judges to select the outstanding group. The Rapid Fire competition came as a tie-breaker and relieved the judges of selecting the exemplifying team. Thirukkudanthai Team was selected as the Topper by their skill of lightening action.
The competition is held in series to help the students to prepare and excel in the next chance.
Check out the photos of this divine function here: